Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What’s the deal with pop tarts?

I was going through my blog and noticed that I talk A LOT about pop tarts, so what’s the deal? Well they are delicious. That’s it...





















Lol jk. Besides being super tasty, they are actually a go to food for post-workout and I will try my best to explain why. When we exercise, it creates a highly stressful state for our bodies. We naturally release cortisol as a reaction to the physical exertion we are putting ourselves through. Post workout our insulin spikes and our cortisol lowers, which then starts the protein synthesis cycle (rebuilding of musclear tissue). Post-workout you want to initiate protein synthesis as quickly as possible to replenish your body and start muscle repair. The best way is by getting a quick and large boost of insulin into the bloodstream and this can be done by eating high glycemic index carbs (simple carbs/sugars).

Simple carbs include foods such as bread, fruit and our yummy pop tart treats. Whereas complex carbs include things such as sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc. And no eating pop tarts will not make you gain weight. Post-workout your body can handle the amount of simple carbs and sugars you are eating in order to start protein synthesis. If you’re sitting around and eating a box of pop tarts everyday, then yes you’re going to gain weight. And it’s not like you HAVE to only eat them post-workout, if you’re an IIFYM’er like me, I sometimes eat them as a dessert as long as it fits my macros for the day. But most of the time I will eat them post-workout because if I don’t eat anything I get really shakey, light headed and feel weak. I also drink a protein shake because I’m all about those gainzzzz. Yep, totally sounded like a meat head.


"But Ashley pop tarts aren’t healthy!” If you go back a few posts you will see that I don’t believe in good or bad foods. Life is about eating what you like in moderation and that is exactly what I am doing. I used to be able to eat a whole package in a sitting, sometimes two, but now I only eat just 1 pop tart a few times a week. So I’m not promoting you to eat a whole package whenever you do 10 mins of ab exercises. They are more beneficial after an intense workout session such as lifting weights and strength training. And if you don’t feel comfortable eating pop tarts I would suggest other simple carbs post workout such as fruits. I’m bringing an apple for my post-workout food today because that actually sounds better to me than a pop tart at the moment.

Here are some good videos that explain simple carbs post-workout:
http://www.youtube.com/water?v=M5mjQPjR5VE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoi5XZhbEg

And the place I got this information from=
http://bmhfitness.weebly.com/3/post/2013/05/post-workout-poptarts.html






No comments:

Post a Comment